Thursday, January 8, 2015

Dear Teresa

This week is the 8th anniversary of my sister, Teresa's, death. While prepping for the Genealogy Do-Over project, cleaning my files, I came across this document. I don't remember trying to put my grief to words, but I'm glad I did.

Cremation Urn, Pineyprairie.blogspot.com

Dear Teresa:

It has been 4 months since you left us. My grief has not faded. Your headstone contains the date of your birth and the date of your death. Those dates are separated by a “dash”. You, however, are not defined by those dates, but the life lived …between the dash. As children we were friends and shared much laughter. Other times you were a bratty little sister and tattletale. I recall the times you skipped school and I signed the notes to keep you out of trouble. As adults our lives took different paths and we didn’t agree on much. Still, I hope you know – I need you to know, that I love you, regardless of our different choices in life.

For your children…may they never look further than their heart to find you.

For the times I judged you…May God forgive me and I ask for your forgiveness.

You gave me a gift many years ago that says “Sisters are Forever”. Yes, we will be and I am saddened that I will grow old without you.

Teresa Stafford Love, Pineyprairie.blogspot.com
One of my favorite photos from our childhood

More posts with or about Teresa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.